Many a time an astrologer have to face this question from people consulting him that they have Raja Yogas and Dhana Yogas in their horoscopes but still their life is so ordinary. In most of the cases it has been found that these Raja Yogas and Dhana Yogas do not get fructified even in their respective dashas because the planets involve in it are loosing their dignity. Sometimes it has been observed that people are not getting any success even in the dashas of Yogakaraka planets in their horoscopes.
As per the Sage Parashara the planets involve in Raja Yoga and/or Dhana Yoga should not be in combustion, debilitation, enemy rashi and enemy navamsha. Apart from this the Sage Parashara has also advised to see the Yogas from ‘Chandra Kundali’ first in the chapter 38 ‘Chandra Yoga-Adhayaa’ of Bhrita Parashara Hora Shastra. The bad Yogas forming from Chandra lagna or Moon chart can destroy the good Yogas in Rashi Chart or Lagna Kundali. The Parashara has also advised to take ‘Desha-Kaal-Patra’ into consideration before interpreting the result of a planetary position in a horoscope. The ‘Desha’ here means the country, society and locality from where the native belongs. The ‘Kaal’ means the time and conditions under which the native is living in a particular area or nation. The word ‘Patra’ means the native him self his ‘Anga-Lakshana’ or the body symptoms like palm readings, forehead lines, body structure etc. The Sage Parashara has discussed it in details in the ‘Anga-Lakshana-Adhayaa in the chapter number 82.
Why Chandra kundali is so important ?
The Moon is the significant of human mind. The state of Moon or Chandra in a horoscopes define the level of consciousness, perception, thinking, judgement and memory of native. As per Sage Parashara the increasing Moon, i.e. from the 8th day of the brighter half of the lunar month to the 8th day of the darker half of the lunar month, is benefic and on the rest of the days it is malefic while decreasing.
Misconception in taking the literal meaning of ‘Ksheena Chandra ( क्षीण चन्द्रमा ) ‘
The important point to note here is that Moon gets equal amount of Paksha Bala while it is at the exact point of Amavasaya or Poornima. So there is a misconception that Moon gets weak during waning condition when it is closer to Amavasaya. This fact can be proving by doing simple mathematical calculations on the horoscopes of natives born on the day of Amavasaya and Poornima. So it is a misconception that Moon gets weak or Ksheena when the birth is around Amavasaya. The astrologers in general take the literal meaning of Ksheena Chandra as weak Moon and Poorna Chandra as the strong Moon. However, the Moon doesn’t get weak in Pakshabala only when it is waning and it doesn’t get strong in waxing condition. There are other various factors of Shadabala which makes Moon weak or strong in various calculations. The ‘Ksheena Chandra’ actually means the malefic Moon and the ‘Poorna Chandra’ is benefic Moon. I will post a separate article on the subject of the ‘misconception of Ksheena Chandrma ( क्षीण चन्द्रमा ) ‘.
How a bad Moon destroy the good yogas in a horoscope
Let us see couple of example to understand the importance of ‘Chandra Kundali or Moon Chart’ in the analysis of the results of Vimshottari dasha.
Case 1: Female
7 February 1983, 11:30 hours at Delhi
Balance of Dasha in Vimshottari: Mercury 10 years 6 months 4 days
In the horoscope of Aries (Mesha) lagan this young lady got the maha dasha of Venus from August 2000. She was in collage doing her graduation then. Venus the lord of 7th house got her married fixed in year 2003. She got married in February 2004 during her Venus-Sun dasha in Vimshottari. Some astrologer predicted her a very prosperous life after marriage as the Venus is in good exchange in the horoscope. Venus the 7th lord is in the 11th house of gains. The 11th lord Saturn is in the 7th house in its sign of exaltation. In Navamsha the Venus is in Pisces its sign of exaltation and Saturn is in Capricorn in its own Navamsha.
So it was not surprising that astrologer gave her very encouraging predictions about this Venus maha dasha which has to run till year 2020. However, she had difficult time during this dasha as her husband went into a serious financial crisis immediately after this marriage. She also had health troubles during the pregnancy of her two child (male). Her Venus-Saturn period (June 2013 to August 2016 ) was particularly bad as her husband was struggling to repay loans and there were other troubles in the joint family.
Now one would wonder why the Venus-Saturn dasha give so bad results to her despite being both planets in ‘Parivartan or exchange’ yoga and in good dignity in both Rashi and Navamsha charts ? The answer to this astrological problem would be as per my humble knowledge is the poor state of her Moon in the horoscope. The Moon is badly placed in the 8th house. The dasha lords Venus and Saturn are making an exchange of 12th and 4th houses from the Moon which is bad. Moreover, there is no benefic in the Kendra from the ascendant to support.
The Moon is also trapped in ‘Paap-Kartari Yoga’. See the malefic planets on the either side of Moon. Such weak Moon chart or Chandra Kundali didn’t let her enjoy the benefit of promising Venus maha dasha. Venus is the karaka of luxury and enjoyments where as she is struggling for the basic family requirements.
Case 2. Male
7 May 1974 at 04:40 hours, Bulandshahar (U.P. ) India
Balance of Dasha in Vimshottari: Jupiter 4 years 5 months 10 days
In the Aries lagna chart of this young man the birth of is of Krishna Pratipada which is the first day after Full Moon. The Moon is very strong in ‘Pakshabala’ here but it is in ‘Rashi Gandanta’. A planet in the first or last degree of a Rashi is known to be in ‘Gandanta or Sandhi’. This planet which is a junction of two signs often change position in the Bhava Chalit. It has to be carefully seen as it generally don’t give its full results promised in the lagna kundali.
Here in this case Moon moves into the 8th house in Bhava Chalit if we take the equal house system. The Moon is also in ‘Sanyasa yoga’ as its depositor Venus is receiving the aspect of Saturn and none other planet. If the depositor or Rashi lord of Moon is under the aspect of Saturn and no other planet aspect it then it makes ‘Sanyasa Yoga’ which is a yoga of detachment. Such person likes to live in their own world and are not very practical. A ‘Sanyasa Yoga’ is good in case the chart have other spiritual combinations as it gives great enlightenment to the native. However, this yoga is not good for material success in life.
In this case the Moon is receiving the aspect of 9th lord Jupiter and the 5th lord Sun which is a Raja Yoga. His father had good rise in his career as a government officer in an intelligence agency of India. However, he was unable to settle in any career until the age of 36 when he got his first job in year 2010 during his Mercury-Jupiter dasha. He got married later in May 2011 during Mercury-Jupiter-Moon period in 2011 when he was at the age of 37 years. The Saturn influencing the 9th house from lagan and Moon generally gives delay in the career rise or ‘Bhagya- Uday’.
The Mercury placed in enemy rashi and enemy navamsha of Mars gave him lots of struggle during its dasha. He is a professional lawyer now with moderate success in his career. The major reason for him having problem in his career was the ‘Sanyasa Yoga’ from Moon and its being in rashi Gandanta. The going into the 8th house in the Bhava Chalit made him uncomfortable at mental plane of existence.
Various Yogas from Moon Chart or Chandra Kundali
- If the birth is of the day time, Moon is in own Navamsha or in the Navamsha of its friends (Sun or Mercury) and receives the aspect of Jupiter in Rashi chart then it gives happiness and wealth to the native.
- If the birth is of night time, Moon is in own Navamsha or in the Navamsha of its friends (Sun or Mercury) and receives the aspect of Venus on it in the Rashi chart then it gives happiness and wealth.
- If there are benefic planets in the 6th, 7th and 8th houses from the Moon then ‘Aadhi-Yoga’ is formed. A person born under such yoga is said to be a king or minister.
Chandra Adhi Yoga:
It has to be noticed in case of ‘Chandra Aadhi Yoga’ that Mercury should be alone as the Mercury conjoined by a malefic planets become malefic itself as per general rule of Hindu astrology.
4. Sunapha, Anapha and Duradhara Yoga– Apart from Sun if there is any planet in the 2nd house from Moon then it is Sunapha Yoga. If there is any planet in the 12th from Moon, apart from Sun, then it is Anapha yoga. And if there are planets on the both sides of Moon, leaving Sun, then this is called Duradhara Yoga. One need to see the nature of planets involve in the above yogas. In case 1 (female) given above the Moon is in Duradhara Yoga as it is hemmed between Saturn and Mercury. But here the Mercury become malefic due to its conjunction with Ketu. So this Duradhara Yoga is made by malefic planets only. The yoga gave this young lady depression and swelling due to blood circulation.
5. Kemadruma Yoga:- If there is no planet with Moon or from its 2nd and 12th house, apart from Sun, then the Kemadruma yoga is caused. This yoga make the horoscope weak and cause many a problem for the native due to the weakness of Moon which is karaka of mind. The bad effects of Kemadruma yoga get nullify to some extent if there are some benefic in Kendra (square) from Moon like Jupiter, Venus and/or Mercury. Apart from this if some planets, including the lord of Moon sign, gives aspect to the Moon then also the bad effects of Kemadruma yoga gets reduced to an extent.
The case 2 (Male) given above is an example of Kemadruma yoga. Now see this horoscope given below.
Case 3. Male
The above horoscope of a young man born in 1981 is a classical case of Kemadruma yoga. See there is no planet on the either side of Moon. Remember we don’t consider the Rahu and Ketu among the planets in the formation of yogas as they are only shadow planets or Chayaa Graha as per sage Parashara. Notice here that there is no planet in Kendra from Moon which is also not receiving the aspect from any planet. Such Kemadruma yoga is consider an hindrance in the growth of a native and he may went into seclusion during difficult time of his life. The person born under such Kemadruma yoga are not very social and they are mostly self obsessed.
This native did his MBA from London in year 2002 during Saturn-Mercury dasha in Vimshottari. Later he got job in a big Indian telecom company (Airtel) during Saturn-Venus dasha in 2005. The Venus being in good yoga along with lagan lord Mercury at the 11th house gave him flying start in a management career. His monthly salary went into six figures very soon and he become CEO in year 2011 of an IT company purchased by him. Later his career start declining in Saturn-Jupiter period in Vimshottari from year 2015. The Saturn and Jupiter both are in the 8th from his natal Moon. They are also in the 6th house from Sun and the lagna lord Mercury. Jupiter being in the Kendraadhipati Dosha was unhelpful for him. The Kemadruma Yoga started showing its effect and by the mid of 2017 (Mercury-Mercury-Ketu) he made up his mind to close his business or sell in to some venture capitalist.
6. Shakata Yoga – This is another important yoga from Moon which is formed when Jupiter is in the 6th or 8th house from the natal Moon. In this yoga the Jupiter should not be in Kendra from lagan. So the Jupiter placed in the houses other than square from the ascendant when comes in the 6th or 8th house from the natal Moon then the ‘Shakata Yoga’ is formed. The ‘Shakata’ means bullock-cart. This yoga bring hindrances in the life of a native and bring difficulties in career.
Case 4 . Male
23 May 1982, 07:20 hours at Delhi
This is a classical case of ‘Shakata Yoga’ . The Jupiter is in the 6th house from the natal Moon in Taurus. The Moon and Jupiter are in the bad 6/8 position mutually and the Jupiter is also not in Kendra from lagna. The native and his family is struggling financially since many years now. The Vimshottari dasha of Rahu started in year 2001 gave this young man lots of financial hardships and disturbances in life. He was unable to complete his studies and did menial jobs. At present he is unmarried at the age of 33 and is struggling in his career. Notice the degree of Moon and the Sun here. It is Amavasaya birth and the Moon becomes malefic here though it is powerful in ‘Pakshabala’. His Rahu-Moon dasha in Vimshottari (June 2016 to December 2017) is giving him lots of health troubles. He is suffering from hyper thyroid since last 3-4 years. The Moon becoming ‘Maraka’ here is giving him disturbances in health though it is in its sign of ‘Moola-Trikona’.
Apart from the above yoga’s there are some combinations which are formed from both lagna and Moon. The Gaja Kesari Yoga and Amala Keerti Yoga are such.
7. Gajakesari Yoga: The Jupiter in Kendra (Square) from the lagna and/or Moon creates this yoga. The Gajakesari yoga is a very common yoga which is found in nearly 1/3 horoscopes and often interpreted very loosely by astrologers. In the case 1 (Female) the Moon is conjoined with Jupiter in a Gajakesari yoga but it has not given good results to the native due to its bad placement in the 8th house and being sandwiched between two malefic planets. In the Gajakesari yoga the lordship and strength of both Moon and Jupiter has to be studied very carefully.
8. Amalakeerti Yoga: This is another yoga which is seen from both lagna and Moon. The Venus and/or Mercury placed in the 10th house from lagna and/or Moon makes Amalakeerti Yoga. As the name suggest this yoga gives immortal fame to the native and is good for his career.
Case 5. Narendra Modi
16 September 1950, 12:12 hours at Vadnagar district Mehasana (Gujarat)
The horoscope of Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is a perfect example of both Gajakesari Yoga and Amala Kerti Yoga. The Jupiter here is in kendra from both lagna and Moon creating a good Gajakesari yoga. The Venus, which is Vargottama here in Leo sign, is in the 10th house from both lagna and Moon making Amalakeerti yoga. Narendra Modi became the chief minister of Gujarat in Venus-Mercury dasha in Vimshottari during 2001. He came into the helm of Indian governments affairs by winning general elections in 2014 during his Jupiter-Moon Vimshottari dasha in 2014. Both Jupiter and Venus are strongly involve in Gajakesari and Amalakeerti yogas respectively.